An internal staircase is a connecting link between floors, while an external staircase helps to get from the street into the house. In addition to the beauty and ease of movement, each owner is interested in making it last longer, and repairs had to be done as rarely as possible.
The structure located on the street is protected by tiles or left with concrete, and for the one in the house, more finishing solutions are offered.
They try to present a wooden staircase with dignity in all its glory, having treated it with stain and protective compounds. Concrete and metal counterparts are beautifully finished with decorative materials. One veneer only steps for the stairs, while the other chooses to create a sheathing frame. The wide choice of materials increases the number of finishes.
Benefits of each finished staircase
- Wood. Eco-friendly, fits into most interior styles, except for hi-tech, minimalism, and loft. Provides the beauty of the coating, thermal insulation, but does not tolerate high humidity in the room (wood is not used for outdoor stairs). Looks respectable complete with wooden handrails and balusters.
- Laminate. The cost of finishing becomes cheaper, it is possible to pick up an imitation of not only wood but also concrete and stone. Before laying on concrete steps, waterproofing of the surface is required, since moisture is released during the hardening of the building. The lamellas are cut according to the parameters of the steps and placed on the substrate. A staircase containing many artistic elements or forging will look easier with a laminate.
MDF panels. They are lightweight and reproduce well the natural structures of materials. With regular increased load, they are able to last less than the above materials.
More than half of the potentially interested audience decides to buy steps for a staircase made of tiles, porcelain stoneware. This is due to the use of modern technologies, thanks to which the materials provide the desired aesthetics, are unpretentious during operation, and retain their original characteristics for a long period.
Natural stones: marble, granite, sandstone, limestone, onyx. They have significant weight, therefore they need very stable supports. They create a special design aura in the room. However, the significant price, cold underfoot, and increased noise when walking reduce the number of people who want to perform just such a finish.
Coloring. This type of design is the most affordable. For concrete, metal, and wood surfaces, you will need different types of compounds.
What does the staircase consist of?
Despite the many components, the structure is a single whole, in which the elements of the staircase are interconnected with each other.
Consider a model that customers consider to be a priority. Finishing is carried out on straight, radius risers, as well as podium, runway, and classic steps, which are also called treads. In some schemes, the facing of parts of the stairs is made with different materials. In metal staircases, the risers can remain open, all attention is paid to the treads. When choosing a facing material, its color compatibility with the rest of the stairs is taken into account.
Requirements for finishing material
- The steps for the stairs must be strong, withstanding more than 200 kg of load.
- It is more difficult to veneer screw, rotary structures because it is necessary to cut the trim to the available corners, so this option will be more expensive at a price.
- It is desirable that the lined elements of the staircase last at least 2 decades.
- If such an indicator as noise absorption is important, decoration is performed with soft materials, fixed with baseboards, clamps, or metal rods. At the request of the customer, carpet is used.
- Anti-slip is taken into account not only for materials for outdoor stairs but also inside the building. The consequences of falling even from a low height can be dire.
- Fast cleaning. For fluffy materials, vacuuming is suggested. Stone, tile, wood materials allow wet processing.
A worthy solution for every taste
Porcelain stoneware and clinker piece material used for stair treads are perfect for indoor and outdoor decoration. For the purpose of an attractive design and safe movement along with the steps, casinos are used. Initially, they were glued during the installation of the tiles, but now manufacturers are producing cast parts with rounding, which favorably affects the installation speed.
Choose any texture:
a) matte material of speckled type (texture “pepper-salt”) – discreet, almost uniform type of finish;
b) relief – reminiscent of a rocky stone, eaten away by time. Creates an impression of brutality and medieval value;
c) satin (waxed) – decorative elements of the stairs have an even matte sheen;
d) technical ─ in demand in those places where a significant number of people pass every day, the view is rather mediocre;
e) glazed – has a surface layer of fired smalt. You need to pay attention to the type of abrasion so as not to buy steps for the stairs, which quickly lose their visual appeal;
f) rectified – with cut edges, used when laying without seams.
To decorate the stairs, you will need tiles, corners, and baseboards. Porcelain stoneware is perfectly cut because if you purchase large-format tiles, and a specialist is engaged in the installation, he can make the side and additional elements that make up the installation kit (sometimes this service is offered by stores selling construction products).
At the same time, you will receive a set that is organic in color, forming a complete picture of the cladding.
The formation of anti-slip on the steps for the stairs is carried out in the following ways:
- slots or notches that inhibit the movement of the leg;
- rubber pads, aluminum strips (additionally remove adhering dirt from the soles);
- glazed tiles, processed according to Anti Slip technology, preventing falling not only from the stairs but also in the sauna, in the pool.