The main thing in the learning process is not to be afraid of the car, to understand the basic principles of driving, to feel the dimensions and power of the driving force.
It is always worth starting small – do not rush to take the high bar. Try the following exercises with the engine off. This will help you to perform actions while driving without looking at your feet and without being distracted from the process of driving:
- Switch speeds. Understand in what position this or that gear is fixed.
- Practice turning on the turn. The right turn is turned on by moving up, the left turn by moving down. It will be easier to remember by understanding the steering wheel movement. When it rotates, the left-hand finger, as it were, sets the correct direction.
- Roll the steering wheel, grasping the steering wheel with both hands. Feel the boundaries of the extreme left and extreme right steering positions.
Practice these exercises for a couple of days and you will be prepared for driving. Even if you are worried, your arms and legs will act automatically. You will feel in control of the situation.
Making sure you are in control of your vehicle is the most important thing in mastering your driving skills.
How to learn to drive mechanically
Most drivers are trained on vehicles with manual transmissions. This is, as they say, a classic of the genre, because:
- The manual transmission is the most difficult. When acquiring skills in driving a vehicle on mechanics, it is easier for the driver to switch to alternative transmissions.
- Driving with a manual transmission provides greater concentration of the driver behind the wheel, which further makes him more alert and focused on the roads.
- The manual transmission allows you to quickly pick up and drop speed, which makes it possible to better feel and control the car.
The best way to learn how to drive is to trust an experienced instructor. Listen carefully and try to follow the advice of a specialist as closely as possible.
What is important to understand when you get behind the wheel of a car on the mechanics
- left – clutch;
- in the middle is a brake;
- on the right is gas.
The most basic pedal is the clutch. Using it, you can set the car in motion. For this you need:
- Press the clutch pedal;
- remove the car from the parking brake (it is on the right);
- engage neutral gear (on a standing vehicle, the lever is already in the desired position);
- release the clutch slowly.
The car will roll in order to continue driving, you must:
- push the clutch all the way;
- turn on the first gear (movement of the lever – to the left and away from you);
- Smoothly depressing the gas pedal, slowly depress the clutch (the main thing is not to be afraid of the sounds that have appeared and not to drop the clutch, slowly adding gas).
After a couple of attempts, you will perform these actions automatically. It will not be perfect at first. You may be deaf. Don’t panic, just try again.
How to change gears on mechanics
To go faster, you need to gradually increase the speed by changing gears.
To accelerate the car, you need to press the clutch pedal and release the gas smoothly. At the same moment, turn on the next gear and turn on the gas.
When to switch gears:
- 1st gear – up to 20 km / h;
- 2nd gear – 20-40 km / h;
- 3rd gear – 40-60 km / h;
- 4th gear – 60-90 km / h;
- 5th gear – 90 km / h and more.
How to learn to drive a car
With an automatic transmission, driving becomes “automatic”. There are many advantages:
- There is no need to be afraid of “kickbacks” when the car rolls backwards on a hill.
- You do not need to use the handbrake on inclines and when stopping: the system itself locks the wheels.
- You only have two pedals under your feet. Basically, you control with one leg. You can forget about the process of squeezing the clutch, learning which causes problems and fears for most.
- You don’t have to listen to the engine to change gear in time.
- In winter, it is not necessary to prepare for the maneuver in advance, as is done in mechanics.
All that is required of a driver driving a car with an automatic transmission is knowledge of traffic rules.
On the machine, the speed switch looks somewhat different than on the mechanical box. There are three programs:
- P – parking. The same handbrake. Having pressed the brake pedal, you stopped to the end and understand that you will not move for the next couple of minutes. You can put the shift lever into parking mode and release the brake pedal, thereby immobilizing the vehicle.
- R – reverse speed. Everything is simple and clear here. Depress the brake pedal all the way, bring the lever to R, release the brake pedal, and the car will roll backward.
- N – neutral speed. This transmission is used quite rarely. It is needed when driving through difficult areas when it is necessary to leave a deep hole.
Learning to drive a car with an automatic transmission is many times easier than with a manual one. But if you learn to drive a car with an automatic transmission, you will not be able to drive a mechanic.
This is because the car does too much for you. This is especially noticeable in cars of new generations with various cruise control systems, when you do not need to press the gas pedal.
Get into the car, squeeze the brake pedal, release it – the engine is running. And now the car starts moving smoothly without unnecessary vibrations and slippage. We sat down and drove off.
The automatic transmission is designed to make life easier for the motorist. For example, it is very convenient in city traffic, when you have to change a lot from row to row, also switching speeds. Or, on the contrary, stand in a traffic jam, periodically rolling up 3-4 meters.
But if you want to become a universal driver, it is worth starting training all the same with a mechanical box. And when you drive it like “on the machine”, then you can already change to the machine.
How to learn to feel the dimensions of the car
For beginners, unlike experienced drivers, it is always difficult to navigate in space and feel where the car ends. This is what classes at the circuit are for.
The more experience, the better you will feel the size. But first, let’s give some tips to make the process go faster:
- On the road, you must not look under the wheels of your car. Don’t try to see the asphalt in front of them. The gaze is directed only forward.
- When driving backward, it is important to understand how the wheels move and where the bumper ends. To do this, they usually focus on the back brush, if any.
- Before changing lanes in the traffic, show the turn and look in the mirror. When the next car is completely behind you, feel free to change lanes.
Don’t be afraid to practice. Set challenging tasks and complete them. They will not work right away. But when you do the exercise several times in a row, you yourself will feel that there is nothing difficult in it and everyone can drive a car.
And if you are thinking of buying your first car, use the recommendations that we have prepared for you. The site contains a whole section of articles in which we tell in detail how to buy a used car and what to fear when choosing. Read reviews of used models of different model years in our blog. We also run a Youtube channel, where you will find many useful and interesting episodes.