When printing a photo or text at home, digital printing is used because the file is not processed, it goes straight from the computer to the paper. The printer does all the work; it does not need an intermediate material as it happens with offset plates in traditional printing. This makes it easy to apply to all types of materials, not just paper, also making the process easier and making it available to everyone.
Digital printing can be done by inkjet or laser. The first requires cartridges and the second requires toners, both options that surely sound like those who have a printer at home or at work. In an industrial printing company specialized in graphic arts like ours we also use them, but on a much larger scale because we print thousands of papers.
The head of the printing machine moves by drawing horizontal lines at high speed and in a single time for all colors, unlike what happens with four-color printing where the same paper or support is printed four times, which results in a much slower process. It also differs in that the paper does not come into contact with the machine because there are no plates. Even so, the separation of inks is maintained and it is necessary to have several cartridges or toners to ensure a good quality in the final result when the original has some more used colors than others.
What are the advantages of using a digital printing press?
In our experience as a digital printing company, this type of printing has a few advantages over others, although perhaps the most notable is its low cost for low-volume and urgent projects. Although, logically, it varies according to the order.
We point out the benefits that our clients value the most:
- Varied substrates and finishes: as we have advanced, digital printing can be applied to paper as well as to fabrics, adhesives or vinyls. In addition, it accepts textures, patterns and finishes that cannot be achieved with any other type of printing, which achieves great showiness.
- Flexibility: since it can be used on any support, it offers a range of options that give a lot of freedom to customize the final result. Thus, companies can take advantage of all their creativity to gain impact in their advertising actions.
- Direct printing: it is one of the characteristics of the digital file, that it does not need anything physical or analog. This makes it more economical because you don’t have to invest in creating plates that increase production costs.
- Quick start-up: being direct printing, it is easier to start the project because it is not necessary to prepare plates or do tests to adjust the colors. In this way, orders that respond to quick actions can be accepted.
- Short lead times: digital printing is faster than offset also because the paper does not have to dry every time and can be cut and handled sooner. This means that deliveries can be made more quickly, which is very practical for small projects that require short deadlines.
- Small runs: digital printing is more efficient than other options because it establishes a cost per printed page. This makes it very advantageous for small companies that do not need large volumes. In addition, for longer runs it is not usually costly compared to offset.
- Personalization: an advantage that many customers value is the possibility of making several versions of the same piece and making few copies of each one, instead of just one with a large circulation. Errors are reduced and more attention is drawn to commercial material, for example by changing the name or images of a catalog.
- Agile reprint: can be reprinted very quickly and at any time to update information that has changed over time. Taking advantage of the fact that the volume is low, it can be reviewed whenever you want, also removing storage space.
- Less waste – only what is needed is printed, quickly and efficiently. Without proofs and adjusting the stock to what is essential, this makes digital printing more ecological than other options.
- Quality: Although offset printing has a long reputation for quality for magazines or catalogs, digital is also very good for certain assignments and has improved a lot. For example, it is widely used in print-on-demand services because it gives good results.
All these advantages have made the digital printing press have grown in recent years, possibly because it has also increased the speed with which projects move in companies and the fact that digital creation and the level of personalization and agility assumed to have extended into printing.
The role of a digital press
It is clear that digital printing has many benefits, but that does not mean that it is always the best choice for all formats. For example, this type of printing spoils more quickly than offset, it does not accept metallic inks or finishes in UVI and, of course, neither Pantone color specifications.
Knowing the characteristics and all the options of each project allows you to choose the one that really represents an advantage. That is why it is important to trust the experience of professionals who can assess each order individually. At Jennings Print we have a team of printing experts who advise our clients on the solution they need to make their projects come true. Contact us today!
You may also like to read: Web Design: Stages of creating graphic design